Welcome to Mutatis Mutandis, the human body makeover.
Future generations will redesign the human body to inhabit the skies, the oceans, the lithosphere, space.
Mutatis Mutandis (Latin: "having changed what needs to be changed") invites the visitor to try on some possible body types.
Atop each body, a system of interlocking mirrors multiplies the visitor's face into a 3D stellation, replete with many eyes, noses, and mouths -- omniscient, omnidirectional, and omnivorous. Side mirrors cover the 3D sphere with tessellated bouquets of tentacles and alien life forms.
- 2019.08.25 Installed!
- 2019.08.12 Additional "bouquets" for side mirror cones.
- 2019.08.04 Shipped! Studio clean up day.
- 2019.08.03 Update: Missing part was delivered to neighbor! Got it on the way to the shipping container.
- 2019.08.03 Shipping today. Everything boxed and loaded on vehicle. No sign of overnight-shipped part.
- 2019.08.02 Rebuilt wiring harness. Spliced in more light. Packed everything except structure with missing part. Awaiting delivery.
- 2019.08.01 Laser cutting service found error on their side; will cut and
overnight missing piece this morning. Packed all loose parts.
- 2019.07.31 Boxed 2/4 elements. One piece missing from laser cutter shipment! (Ack.)
- 2019.07.30 Corner bumpers, pylon feet, flags, solar power mounts. 2nd shipment from laser cutter arrives tonight.
- 2019.07.29 Wiring for 405nm lights. Test with fluorescent and glow-in-the-dark tentacles:
- 2019.07.28 Recondition battery, cart, halfbike.
- 2019.07.27 All structural elements assembled, partly disassembled, and folded for packing.
- 2019.07.26 Pipe cutting, drilling, deburring.
- 2019.07.25 1st batch laser cut steel has finally arrived! And
all interlocks work! However, everything is ~0.08mm too large, so
3D fit is super tight. Structural mockup:
- 2019.07.24 Where's the steel? Delivery service says "undeliverable address." Yet they delivered here last week!
- 2019.07.23 Experimenting with lighting.
- 2019.07.22 Started packing & wiring plans.
- 2019.07.21 Solar cell mounts.
- 2019.07.20 Mirror attachment test.
- 2019.07.19 Body parts mounted on frames.
- 2019.07.17 2nd batch lasercut steel ordered. Test batch is late.
- 2019.07.15-16 All body part shapes dragknifed.
- 2019.07.12-14 CA/SciFoo detour.
- 2019.07.11 Going! Project is now definitely on.
- 2019.07.10 Dragknife tests and tuning.
- 2019.07.09 Small test batch lasercut steel ordered. Might as well.
- 2019.07.08 Steel interlock generating code revised.
- 2019.07.06-07 Machined: aluminum hinge clamps for quick-framing. Needed for multiple projects.
- 2019.07.04 Steel interlock patterns sent to laser cutting service for tolerancing.
- 2019.07.03 Retrofit flatbed CNC to dragknife. Wrote Bezier-to-dragknife gcode generator.
- 2019.07.02 Ordered: hose clamps, 405nm LEDs, aquarium plants, coroplast, finger monsters, glow-in-the-dark tentacles, chain, EMT conduit, PLA filament, wire, 10-32 SHC screws, retail grids. Good to have around even if the project is a no-go this year.
- 2019.07.02 Designs scanned, traced, converted to Bezier, tweaked.
- 2019.07.01 Design done (on paper).
- 2019.06.29-30 Ipswich detour. Initial sketches.
- 2019.06.28 Won't know go or no-go until 2nd week July. Must start project soon if freight shipping is going to be a possibility.
- 2019.06.22-25 UK detour.
- 2019.06.21 Maybe going after all.
- 2019.04.26 Sorry all. Can't go this year. Project revives in 2020.
- 2019.02-2019.04 Da Vinci Art/Sci class at CRLS (local public high school). Students prototyped Coxeter symmetry dioramas with Arduino-programmed addressable LED strips.
Design by Zintaglio Arts. See some of our past and future BM projects: Virascope Alpha, Gnomon and FOXP
© 2008-2019 Matt Brand. All rights reserved. Trademark & patents pending.